Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stupid family genes...

2 weeks ago I had two biopsies done. One on my leg and one on my shoulder. Shoulder was fine. Leg, ya not so much. The mole got sent to Northwestern for additional testing. It came back yesterday. I have malignant melanoma.

OH not sure what that is? Here ya go.




"Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. Whether it's called malignant melanoma or simply melanoma, this cancer can metastasize (spread) rapidly. With early detection and proper treatment, melanoma has a high cure rate.


Early detection and treatment are possible because melanoma typically begins on the surface of the skin. It develops when melanocytes (the cells that give skin, hair, and eyes color) are damaged, which causes these cells to grow uncontrollably. As melanoma develops where melanocytes occur, this cancer can begin on the skin, under a nail, and even in an eye or on a mucous membrane (mouth and genitals).

Melanoma begins on the surface, but it can grow deep into the skin and beyond. It can reach the blood and lymphatic vessels, and from there it can spread through the body, causing a life-threatening condition."
 
 

Who knows what stage I have. I've had the mole for pretty much my entire life and started turning colors around the time I got pregnant and has gotten bigger since then. I only went to the dr because I could feel it while I was shaving my leg.

Now I have to go to the University of Chicago to get a huge biopsy done on my calf. Another surgery that I'm NOT looking forward to. I have to call Addi's dr and get her checked from head to toe since my grandpa and dad both have it. Yet another reason why I absolutely hate my dad's genetics. First Polycystic Kidneys, now skin cancer.

I really don't know if I can take any more health issues.

No comments: