Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cancer Update

Now that I've had time to digest everything that's going on in my life I'll let everyone know. I'm not going to the U of C, I'm going to the U of I/Chicago. My doctor is absolutely wonderful and I truly trust his decision on my treatment.

On Monday, Kyle and I took the trip to Chicago and met with Dr. Warso. I got an exam and we spoke briefly about my family health history. He looked over my pathology report and said that I have type T1B cancer. T1 is the size, it's under 1mm then ABC is the level into the skin it goes. A is superficial, B is going into the skin layers and possibly to muscle and C is into the muscle and beyond.

On Sept 8th I'll be having surgery to remove skin/tissue down the the muscle on my leg. Before surgery I'll have a test done to check my lymph nodes to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. Dr doesn't think it has but I do have a 10% chance so he wants to rule it out. If any of the nodes glow during this test then they will be removed. After they get tested we will talk about treatment. Following this 2 hour test, I'll be put into the pre-op room and prepped for surgery. There will be a 2-3 inch circular incision on my calf down to the muscle and all the tissue will be removed. If the Dr can't close it by stitches then I'll have a skin graft from my right thigh. If that happens, which the nurse said it's a strong possibility, I might be in a walkable cast. Surgery is scheduled to take 2 hours. I will not be admitted to the hospital, just here. all day. Lovely.

So two things can happen. My nodes can be affected in which case we'll discuss treatment for further cancer and I'll have a lot more incisions on my body or two I'll just have the surgery on my leg. I will be off work for 3 days and have the weekend to recover. I was told to take a week off work but I just can't do that. My job isn't stressful, I'm pretty sure I can sit at a desk for 8 hours and be OK.

As of right now I'm not worried about the surgery. I don't think that it's really hit me yet. The week of I'm sure I will be a complete mess but I know everything will be fine. As much as I'd like Kyle to go he has to work so my mom is coming with me since I won't be able to drive that day or maybe the next. He's not good with hospitals anyway and we'd probably just fight the whole time. He'll be home that night to take care of me and hopefully it won't be a busy week and he'll be home on the weekend. Hell, I'm not even worried about him being home, I can take care of myself, I'm worried about not seeing Addi and being able to do things with her except watch Elmo (ugh!!!) and Madagascar 1 and 2.

I'll keep everyone posted after the surgery and be sure to post pics of my amazingly gross scar I'm going to have lol!

No comments: